A number of foods that reverse aging can greatly improve your appearance, making you look more youthful, healthy and fresh. Weekly meal plans that include protein-rich foods, plenty of fruit and vegetables, as well as vitamins and minerals will have great health benefits, slowing the aging process while protecting you against free radicals.
Top Seven Foods that Reverse Aging Signs
1. Wild Alaskan salmon, as well as other types of cold water fish such as sardines, trout, herring, and so on, are great sources of protein, which is a key ingredient in maintaining and repairing the body, including the skin on a cellular level.
Our bodies cannot store protein, so for optimum health and cellular repair we should include protein-rich foods in each meal. Food groups may be rated as either pro-inflammatory or anti-inflammatory, while protein on the whole is neutral. Such sources of protein, however, provide powerful anti-inflammatory benefits, for two reasons:
- The fish listed above are high in anti-inflammatory omega 3 essential fatty acids, which keep the skin supple, radiant and wrinkle free, help your brain function at optimal levels and help you fend off depression and dementia.
- The pigment of wild salmon – either bright pink or deep red color, depending on variety – is due to the presence of astaxanthin, a very powerful carotenoid anti-oxidant with great anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Green foods, i.e. a group of foods that includes young cereal grasses such as barley grass and wheat grass. Nutritionally, they are related to dark leafy, green vegetables, but they offer far greater levels of “nutrient density”. More specifically, an ounce of these concentrated green foods contains far more beneficial phytonutrients than an ounce of green vegetables.
Green foods such as Green MagmaTM help detoxify the body to keep the skin radiant and clear. In addition, many experimental studies of aging process have shown that green foods have marked beneficial effects on cholesterol, blood pressure, immune response and cancer prevention. In part, these effects are attributed to the high concentrations of chlorophyll.
Chlorofyll is the phytochemical that gives leaves, plants and algae their green pigment, and it is the plant equivalent of the oxygen-carrying red pigment hemoglobin in red blood cells. Dietary chlorophyll inhibits these bacteria, and also exerts therapeutic effects on bad breath and internal odors.
3. Beans and lentils are great foods that reverse aging for a number of reasons, not just for their high fiber content. In fact, beans and lentils can be your best friend when it comes to maintaining beautiful skin and prevent weight gain, because they are very low glycemic.
Because hey are very low glycemic, they will not cause a rapid rise in blood sugar when eaten, while sugary, starchy food will. Beans and lentils are anti-inflammatory foods and will keep your blood sugar stable, which is essential for preventing dull, dry, wrinkled and sagging skin, as well as hard to lose body fat. This class of foods could be an answer for how to reverse the aging process.
4. Olives and extra virgin olive oil contain oleic acid, which helps us absorb the omega 3 fatty acids and other vitamins and nutrients from various foods. We need a source of good fats in our diet to help us absorb important nutrients from fruit and vegetables, keep our cells supple, our skin radiant and wrinkle-free, and our brains sharp. Dietary fat is also necessary to burn fat therefor olives should be on the list of natural anti aging foods. Oleic acid is essential in keeping the outer portion of the cell – i.e. the plasma membrane – supple, thus allowing nutrients to enter the cell and wastes to exit.
5. Green tea contains polyphenols, compounds that help eliminate inflammation-producing free radicals. Researchers have recently found that these polyphenols actually protect healthy cells from cancer causing DNA damage, while killing cancer cells. Other aging research grants showed the remarkable power of green teapolyphenols (EGCG) to reactivate dying skin cells. In fact, researchers on aging are considering this energizing of dying skin cells to potentially benefit skin diseases such as rosacea, psoriasis, ulcers, wounds and even wrinkles.
6. Blueberries have some amazing qualities when in comes to foods that reverse aging, including the fact that they are one of the best sources of antioxidants. In addition, they also have great anti-inflammatory properties, they increase brain power, restore balance and improve memory, and anything that is good to the brain is excellent for the skin.
In embryology, there are three layers of tissue that develop into every organ system in our bodies. The same layer of tissue that is responsible for producing the brain also produces skin. There is a very close connection between brain and skin, and when something is therapeutic for the brain the skin improves its aspect as well.
7. Lastly, sour citrus fruits, including lemons, limes and grapefruit, are all rich in antioxidants known as limonoids and limonenes, which offer great benefits, such as:
- protect lungs, alleviating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- help prevent cancer by boosting the activity of detoxification enzymes on the liver
- lower blood cholesterol levels
- inhibit cancer in human breast cells, lung, skin, stomach, mouth and colon cancer in laboratory animals.
In addition, lemon bioflvonoids contain heseridin and proanthocyanidins, which are a class of nutrients that belong to the flavonoid family. According to a study conducted for Bordeaux Medical, proanthocianidins actually strengthen capillaries, and also play an important role in maintaining elastin and stabilizing collagen, which is vital for healthy, youthful skin. Such proanthocianidins are also found in teas, black currant, cranberry, bilberry, grape seed and grape skin.